Eat: Mexican Chicken Soup

Friday, November 9, 2012

Soups are something I don't often make, but when I spotted this one in a recipe book I knew I had to try it. I have since made some alterations to suit my taste a little more. It's the perfect dish for this cool weather that is finally starting to set in.


What you need:


[for the spanish rice]
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
1/4 cup asparagus, chopped
1/4 cup carrots, chopped
1 cup roma tomatoes, chopped
a pinch of cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp paprika
1 1/2 cups brown rice
3 cups chicken stock
1/2 tsp salt

[for the soup]
1 cup red onion, chopped
1 cup carrots, peeled and cubed
1 cup asparagus, chopped
3 Tbsp olive oil
8 cups chicken stock
1 cup potatoes, cubed
1/2 tsp thyme
1 bay leaf
1 tsp salt
1 chicken breast (boneless, skinless), cubed
3 ears of corn, broken into halves (or 1 1/2 cups frozen corn)

[to garnish - optional]
1 ripe avocado, cubed

How to make it:

[for the rice]


Heat the oil in a large soup pot over low heat, then add the vegetables. Cook for 4 minutes then add remaining ingredients. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer (with the lid on) for 45 minutes, or until the rice is cooked.

[for the soup]

Place the onions, asparagus, carrots, and oil in a large frying pan and saute for 7 minutes. Add the stock, potatoes and seasonings and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat and simmer for half an hour. Then add the chicken and cook for 15 more minutes. Finally, add the corn and cook for 5 more minutes. 

[to serve]

Place a couple scoops of the rice, some soup and 1/2 ear of corn in each bowl. Garnish with avocado if you wish.

Enjoy! 

I found the flavour to be quite bold when I ate this the first time, which is why I tweaked the recipe. If you find it is still a little too much, just add some water. It's delicious.


1 wonderful comments:

Hena Tayeb said...

oh that looks great. I love soup