Book-Smart Sunday

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Good Morning!

Today for Book-Smart Sunday I decided to feature The Guerilla Art Kit by Keri Smith. I've had this book on my shelf for a few years and it's really cute. It hasn't received much attention in a long time, but I recently realized that it stands at the intersection of a couple of my classes this semester and my personal creative interests. So I'm sharing it with you!





The book is full of ideas for leaving a mark on the world, anonymously. It's about using urban spaces in creative ways that they weren't really mean to be used. There are ideas like yarn bombing, seed bombing, moss graffiti, public chalkboards, and much more. Some of the things may count as minor vandalism, but for the most part the stuff is legal and sounds like a lot of fun. I don't know about you, but I think it would be amazing to find a random love letter on the street, or found objects put together to create a miniature scene. Sadly, in my city your options would be greatly decreased (or their longevity would be) because of the crazy wind we get, but I guess that simply demands more creativity! 

Maybe I should make it a goal of mine to finally use some the ideas in this book? I could start by seed bombing the nasty planter in front of our apartment that gets neglected all summer. :)

0 wonderful comments: