Cookies for Food Friday!

Friday, September 3, 2010

Good Morning!

Yesterday was a different day, I just wasn't in the mood for blogging so I didn't do it. Isn't no content better than bad content? I think so. You should remember these cookies because they're just from last week. I wanted to use my new cookie cutters to make some cute cookies for my cousin's "baby shower", but I didn't want plain old sugar cookies. These are what I came up with. They are very yummy chocolate cookies that work with cookie cutters.

Yummy Chocolate Cut-out Cookies
(adapted from this recipe)

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup margarine, softened
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 1/4 cups white sugar
2 eggs (discard 1 egg white so you are left with 1 whole egg & 1 yolk only)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:

Combine the flour, cocoa & baking powder in a bowl and set aside. In another bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar. Beat in the egg & yolk and then add the dry ingredients. Mix well!

Split the dough into two balls, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (I left them overnight).

When you're ready to do the rest of the job, bring out your dough and start the oven heating at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Dust the surface where you'll be working with cocoa powder (flour might make your cookies look funny). Roll the dough out to about 1/8 - 1/4 inch thickness. Whatever works for you, I just kind of went with it and didn't pay close attention to the thickness. Now is time for your cookie cutters. Cut out cookies and place your cookies on a cookie sheet. Make sure to leave them about an inch on all sides because they do rise a little.

Toss the cookies in the oven for 8-10 minutes. Check at 7 if you have a finicky old oven like mine. Give your cookies about 5 minutes to cool off before you take them off the cookie sheet. If you move them too quickly they might break. Don't ice until they are completely cooled.

For the icing, I went to the grocery store and bought Cake Mate cookie icing and scribblers. The icing was really easy to work with and I didn't have to do any work to get it there. The icing also sets so well after a few hours that you can stack the cookies up with no damage! I also froze the cookies, fully iced, and they went through the whole process without a scratch.

And they taste delicious!

0 wonderful comments: