Friday Food - A Healthy Meal!

Friday, August 6, 2010

Good morning!

If you don't know what to make for supper tonight, maybe you should make this. The recipe is for chicken, but the whole meal is pretty healthy. I used broccoli from the farmer's market (which is NOT the same as the stuff from the grocery store. Hello, delicious flavour!) and brown rice as sides. While I had trouble growing accustomed to brown rice for quite some time, I'm proud to say that Uncle Ben helped me make the switch. When brown rice took close to an hour to cook I could hardly be bothered with the ridiculous amount of time plus a new taste and texture. Five minutes more than my white rice, well, that is doable.

I don't think the picture looks as good as it tasted at all, but oh well. I also need to start taking my photos by a window because it would really improve the quality. Noted. Oh, and I also used some fresh basil from my "garden"! Just the scent of the leaves is amazing. Anyways, here's the recipe:

Caesar Basil Chicken
(adapted from this recipe)

Ingredients:

2-3 Chicken Breasts OR 8 Chicken Thighs (boneless, skinless either way)
Garlic plus or some other basic seasoning for the chicken
2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
1/3 cup Renee's Caesar dressing (I used the version with half the fat)
1/4 tsp Frank's original hot sauce
1/4 cup fresh chopped basil (if you don't have fresh, you can use 1/3 of the measurement of dried basil)

Directions:

Season and brown the chicken. I did this on the barbecue (two thighs on a 12 inch square of tinfoil, sprinkled with Garlic Plus and then wrapped with the foil, on the barbecue at medium-high heat for 10 minutes, flipped at 5 minutes), but you can just do it in the frying pan. In a large frying pan on the stove combine the cooked chicken, chopped tomatoes, dressing, and hot sauce. Mix well then simmer for about 8 minutes. Finally, add the basil and some salt and pepper to your taste! The sauce is delicious if you serve this with rice. (The original recipe also recommends mashed potatoes or couscous)

Yum! Enjoy.

0 wonderful comments: