The Perks of Unemployment

Monday, June 28, 2010

Good Afternoon!

Right now I'm sitting at my kitchen table eating a delicious and healthy rice bowl, watching my clothes blow in the breeze on the clothesline outside. I'm thinking about how great all this freedom feels! I have an appointment to look at an apartment this afternoon, and I've gotten quite a few things accomplished already today. How nice it is to be unemployed!

This rice bowl is really too delicious to keep all to myself, as well, so I've decided to share my recipe. :)


I made this rice bowl in an attempt to recreate the Green Bowl from the 13th Avenue Coffee House in Regina. It is my favourite. I used chicken instead of tofu because I don't have any tofu on hand, and both are delicious!

Ingredients:
bean sprouts
steamed broccoli
chopped cucumber
cubed chicken or tofu, cooked to your liking (I used leftover chicken breast!)
steamed green beans (used in the green bowl, I didn't have any on hand)
cooked long grain brown rice
coconut-lime peanut sauce (recipe below)
fresh basil, cilantro or some other green herb for a garnish (optional)

Directions:
Stir a couple scoops of peanut sauce and rice together in your bowl and top with chicken or tofu, broccoli, beans, cucumbers, bean sprouts, and garnish! As for the quantities, well, your guess is as good as mine. Maybe about a quarter cup of each broccoli, beans, cucumber, and chicken. Then just enough bean sprouts to make a nice little topping.

Coconut-Lime Peanut Sauce

Ingredients:
4 Tbsp natural peanut butter
1/2 Tbsp soya sauce
1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp lime juice
4 Tbsp coconut milk (try to find a lighter version if you can!)
4 Tbsp water
1 crushed garlic clove
a pinch of cayenne pepper (more if you like some kick)

Directions:

Mix all ingredients together in a small saucepan over medium heat until fairly smooth. Heat until sauce begins to bubble, reduce to low heat and stir well for a couple minutes then remove from heat.
This makes enough for a few good size rice bowls.


Yummy! 

0 wonderful comments: