An Ode to Summer Eating

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Good evening!

Tonight for supper I made some delicious turkey burgers, and it got me thinking about my eating habits. I really didn't make turkey burgers very much in the winter because, well, using the oven was a plus. On thirty-degree days like today, however, a person will do just about anything to avoid using the oven. I also just whipped up a couple of cold smoothies to help stay cool. Oh, how delicious summer can be!


Let me say, now, that this photo is not mine! (Click the photo for the source.) I forgot to take a picture of mine tonight and I wanted to tempt you with a visual! Here is my recipe for turkey burgers, which I perfected today. It is adapted from a recipe in "The Healthy Kitchen" by Andrew Weil, M.D. and Rosey Daley.

Ingredients:

1 lb lean ground turkey
1/2 cup finely chopped mushrooms
1/2 cup finely chopped bean sprouts
1/4 cup finely chopped red/purple onion
1 Tbsp bbq sauce
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp basil
1/4 tsp black pepper

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Make into patties of equal size (4 or 6 depending on how big you make them). Cook on your bbq for about 7 minutes per side and cooked through. You can also fry them in a pan if you have the luxury of AC!


0 wonderful comments: