Healthy Cookies?

Friday, May 7, 2010

Let me just say, that I believe that sweet things are good for the soul. I think a life without sweet, delicious treats would indeed be a sad one. Especially a life without chocolate. Lately, we've been trying to be a healthier household. We've cut out our salt and vinegar chip binges, kraft dinner suppers, and fruit with chocolate sauce snacks altogether for about two weeks now.

I can do without the chips and kraft dinner, but things just don't feel right without chocolate and sweets in my life. So yesterday I went on the hunt for some healthy cookies. I know that sounds contradictory, but I'm just trying to look for something that will make me feel like it is not all junk. In the end I stumbled upon this recipe, which I adapted. The zucchini makes the cookies very moist, and they have a really nice texture.



Below is my version of the recipe. The original calls for 1/2 cup of coconut as well, but I just didn't have it on hand. I think it would be delicious. I also added an egg because my dough was crumbly and dry. To be even healthier you could substitute raisins for the chocolate... but I think that would just be terrible.

Ingredients:

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup zucchini, grated
1 1/2 cups flour (I did about half whole wheat, half unbleached all-purpose)
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup chopped nuts
3/4 cup chocolate chips

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat the sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla together in a bowl. Stir in the zucchini. Add flour and baking soda, and mix thoroughly. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Drop cookies by the spoonful on a cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes.

This makes about 30 cookies.

####UPDATE####

You can make this recipe vegan!
Substitute:
vegan margarine for the butter
1 mashed banana for the two eggs
vegan chocolate chips for regular chocolate chips

And make sure that your other ingredients are suitable for vegans!

2 wonderful comments:

Sarah @ Scissors and a Whisk said...

This sounds yummy, and I think it's great you're trying to find healthier ways to still have some sweets.

A few things I enjoy are sweet potatoes with brown sugar, those are pretty sweet and good for you. There's a diet (but they have a free online book) called the Full Plate Diet, and they have dessert recipes that are better for you, such as brownies made with black beans, sweet potatoes, fruits, etc. You also probably already know this, but there are substitutions you can make like changing oil to apple sauce, things like that. I've seen websites that list all kinds of substitutions you can do!

Plus a little bit of dark chocolate is actually good for you!! I take advantage of that by eating a few Dove chocolates every now and then.

Erica @ Acire Adventures said...

Cool! Thanks for the info! I've been curious about what some goodies would taste like when totally made over.... maybe I'll have to investigate further.