I Should Be Studying...

Monday, April 19, 2010

Yes, I know that I should be devoting all of my free time to school work because it is exam week. I really have trouble doing that, though. Especially when we have a beautiful, sunny, 23 degree day with no wind.

In honor of the beautiful weather, we barbecued tonight. That's the awesome thing about having an apartment with a big balcony (and an awesome mom and step dad to buy you a barbecue). We made some delicious pork chops with caramelized apples, and some potatoes, red peppers, mushrooms, and onions on the side. It was yummy. So I thought I would share the pork chop & apple part of the recipe. I grew up eating apple sauce with pork chops, so to me they make a great pair.



Ingredients:

Pork chops, enough to feed whomever you are feeding
Granny Smith apples, 1 per pork chop
Barbecue sauce, to your taste
1/3 - 1/2 cup Pure Maple Syrup
Olive oil
Lemon Juice (optional)

Prep:

Cut the apples in thin slices, not too thin and not too thick. (Too thin will burn and fall into the barbecue, too thick won't cook fast enough) I'd say about 1/4 inch thick, or a little less. You can brush them with a little lemon juice and water so that they don't brown. Brush them with a little olive oil as well.

Cooking:

Heat the barbecue up at medium heat. Throw on your pork chops and cook them. Cooking time depends on the size/thickness, so I'll leave that up to you to figure out. I've been told to do about 8 minutes per side, but if they are thick they can take a long time. Be sure they are cooked all the way through.

When the pork chops are a little more than half cooked, put your apples on the grill.

Be careful, they fall through the grill easily. Cook the apples for 1 minute per side. When they are on the second side, brush them with maple syrup. Be generous. Flip them over and brush the other side. Keep flipping them every couple minutes until they are caramelized. By this I mean soft and browned, the sugar will be bubbling on them (take a look at the photo above). If they start to burn take them off.

Finally, brush your pork chops with barbecue sauce just before they're ready to come off. And then serve! I topped mine with the peppers and mushrooms to make it look pretty.

Enjoy! I have to go do some school work now...

0 wonderful comments: