The Funny Guys Have It All Figured Out

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Lately I have been watching videos of comedians of youtube. Not just whichever comedians turn up, but a couple specific ones: George Carlin, Bill Hicks, Bill Maher. I think my absolute favourite right now is George Carlin. You know, Mr. Conductor from Shining Time Station? That's him!


I remember in 2006, just after I graduated high school, my mom flew my sister and I out to Vancouver Island to hang out with our great aunt and uncle for a few days. My Uncle Funny and Auntie Daphne to be exact. I remember my uncle left us some reading material in the rooms we stayed in. In my room he left a couple George Carlin books. I flipped through, laughed a little, and that was that. And now I finally appreciate his humour, his grumpy-old-man attitude, and his incessant mocking of humanity. 


When I say that the funny guys have it all figured out, I mean that they are the brilliant people who have realized that humans take themselves way too seriously and choose to make fun of it. Watching them joke, mock, and rant is helping me remember how seriously insignificant we all are and that is incredibly freeing.






0 wonderful comments: