Book-Smart Sunday

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Yay! It makes me so happy to write Book-Smart Sunday posts. They are like a special treat.

This week's book is one that I actually bought for my dad for Christmas, and when he was done it, he lent it to me! I just finished it the other day and I have to say, I loved it. It's called Unfamiliar Fishes, written by Sarah Vowell. Oddly enough, it's a book about history (which I haven't ever envisioned myself reading), but it's not boring or dry or tedious like we might expect.




The book traces the history of the Americanization of Hawaii, leading up to its annexation by the United States. Though I've never read any of her other books, I've heard about Sarah Vowell's writing style before. She definitely has a wry sense of humour, which makes the book enjoyable. To me, it read like some of my favourite ethnographies minus any academic babble. She is clearly well-researched and precise about data, but uses her own voice to communicate it, regularly referring to her own experiences while researching the book. If you're interested in Hawaii, or American history more broadly, I would recommend this book.








0 wonderful comments: