Work + Play + Learning

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

= Awesome? 


As a parent, I'm often torn between two sides. 


There's the "I'll just do it myself and it will be quicker and easier" side 
and the "I'll have Gavin do it and it will be more difficult, potentially messy, but a great learning experience"


I really try my best to take the hard, messy, but fun route that teaches him something. I try to find opportunities for this type of thing everywhere. I'll admit, I get distracted and forget, sometimes for a week straight, but at least I'm trying... right?


This was our latest adventure:




He was working: helping me put away dishes from the dishwasher.
He was playing: ok, pretty much anything besides sleeping is playing in his eyes.
He was learning: sorting, sorting, sorting! 


And I got a little help from him while also keeping him out of the way while I did the other dishes... it was like a win-win-win-win-win situation. :)


Please note: take all of the sharp objects out before you let your kids at the cutlery!

1 wonderful comments:

Tara said...

You can add one more "win" to that list, because I can tell you right now, Gavin's future kindergarten teacher thanks you! But don't worry if there are times you do need to take the "just do it myself because it's quicker" option... I even do so as a teacher sometimes. (Shhh... don't tell!)