Sidekick Sunday

Sunday, July 24, 2011

I have a bloggy bud named Sarah @ Scissors and a Whisk who just started a new link party dedicated to fuzzy sidekicks. While I don't have any furry creatures living with me (besides Mason, who is getting close to falling under that category with the amount of hair on his head/face... but that's another story), I do have a couple that are "technically" mine. So I decided to post about them!


Meet Hobo (left) and Lucifer (right). These are my kitty-cats who live with my mom. 

Lucifer, August 2007
I got Lucifer in 2007 from the Humane Society (animal shelter) in Regina. I honestly just went to visit the place, but I couldn't leave without him. He was a cute and fiesty kitty and he had been there the longest. The place was full of cats and I couldn't imagine what would happen to him if he didn't find a home. When I split from the boyfriend I was living with, I didn't want to leave him behind, but had no place for him to live. So my sweet mom took him in and he's lived with her ever since.

Hobo, snoozing, October 2008 (with my baby belly against his back legs, haha)
I got Hobo in October 2008, just before halloween. I had been visiting Mason in Prince Albert where he was going to school for a weekend and left a day later than originally planned. Somehow it worked out perfectly because on my way home I saw this little critter running along the shoulder of the highway, far from any town or farm. I slowed down because I saw him, but couldn't tell what he was until he ran in front of my car! I slammed on the brakes and tried to steer so he would go in between my wheels. I just about had a heart attack and cringed as I inched onto the shoulder. I didn't want to see squished kitty. But there he was, FROZEN in the middle of the road. Luckily, it wasn't a busy day on the highway. I hopped out of my car, thinking I'd either scare him off or pick him up. He ran right to me and purred loudly as he snuggled with me for the rest of the drive. I couldn't part with him, so I took him to visit my mom at work. She is the biggest softie ever and took him in under the condition that I would take him when my living situation permitted.

both snuggling, October 2008 (Hobo was such a scruffy cat when I found him!)
Both cats are the most mellow, loveable felines I've ever known. Hobo has no problem play fighting with a dog many times his size, being carried around like a baby, and having his tail pulled by small children, in fact, he seems to love all of these things. Lucifer is a little more reserved around dogs and small children, but is still really friendly and sweet. They are just lucky that I have such a sweet mom! (Thanks, Mom!)

And I'm obviously linking up with Sarah today:




2 wonderful comments:

Sarah @ Scissors and a Whisk said...

Oh Erica, I just want to give you a big ol' hug. Thank you *SO* much for playing along! You made my day.

I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know your fuzzy sidekicks. I smiled when you introduced Lucifer because that's what my BFF calls Lucy. They are precious kitties. I LOVE the picture of Hobo snoozing, he seriously looks like a doll. And the picture of the two of them spooning -- aaaah.

Thanks again, Erica. <3

Mom said...

I do love those 2 cats, in spite of the hair in the house. And we are definitely lucky to have both cats being so easy-going. When the grandkids are around, it is good to know the cats won't scratch them if the kids get a bit rough. And I especially love how Hobo enjoys the torture put upon him by Max (the big dog) and small children. He just purrs and comes back for more!!