A Year Ago

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Good Morning!

Well it has been a year since my son's first birthday, and I'm planning on making his cake for his second birthday this weekend. I realized I have never shared the cake I made last year with you guys, so here it is!




It was my first time doing any decorating or layering or anything for cakes, so it turned out very well considering. I used this recipe for the yummy chocolate cake, this recipe for the marshmallow fondant, and this tutorial for the basic way to make a "madhatter cake".  My cake was obviously a lot smaller than the one in the tutorial, though, so I skipped the whole support system thing. My cake was just three on top of one another, with a level spot cut into the top of the lower layers so the cakes fit nicely into one another. It was a fun experience anyways, but I'm glad I don't have to do it more than once a year! 

2 wonderful comments:

tt.scraps said...

Great job! Looks too good to eat!

Erica @ Acire Adventures said...

Thanks, Tammy! It was really delicious too... too good not to eat. And the nice thing about marshmallow fondant (other than the fact that it's easier and cheaper to make) is that it's a little more edible than normal fondant.