Food Friday: A Repeat

Friday, January 21, 2011

Good Morning!

I apologize for having a repeat this Food Friday, but bear with me. Last week I posted a pretty healthy recipe for blueberry bran muffins. I used a full cup of molasses in mine and, well, they were gross. I didn't mind them at first, but they just got worse in the days following. So this week I'm going to offer a much tastier version. These were the bran muffins my mom made when I was growing up, I just altered the recipe slightly. And we've been eating them for a few days now and they are very yummy, but maybe a little less healthy. Sorry there are no pictures, we ate them all before I remembered to take photos!


Ingredients:

3 cups All Bran cereal (not that flakes, the ones that look like noodles)
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup margarine
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp white vinegar or lemon juice
1 7/8 cups milk
[NOTE: for the 7/8 cup of milk, just put the vinegar/lemon juice in the cup, then fill the rest of the 1 cup measure with milk]
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large bowl combine cereal and boiling water. Mix well then set aside. Cream butter, sugar and honey. Beat in eggs. Add remaining ingredients in order, mixing between each. Pour into lined muffin tins and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Use a toothpick inserted in the centre of a muffin to test for doneness, if it comes out clean (purple is ok, just as long as there isn't any chunks of batter on it) then they are done.

Enjoy!

 

0 wonderful comments: