A Fall Dish for Food Friday

Friday, October 22, 2010

Good Morning!

I don't know about you, but whenever the weather starts getting chilly, I start getting the urge to turn my oven on. It's probably because it helps heat my apartment, so I can put off turning on the thermostat for as long as possible. Anyways, this is one of my favourites for the fall and winter months.


Chicken Pot Pie

Ingredients:

1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables (I use a mix of chopped carrots, peas, corn & green beans)
4 or 5 small to medium mushrooms, chopped
1 chicken breast, cooked and chopped into 1 inch cubes
1 medium potato, peeled, cubed (1/2 inch), and boiled for 10 minutes
1 can cream of mushroom soup (the stuff that needs liquid added)
some milk
2 frozen pie shells

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Take the pie shells out of the box and let them thaw on the counter while you do the other work.

Toss all your vegetables into a frying pan and let them cook for a minute of two. Add your chicken and the soup. Slowly stir in milk until it reaches your desired consistency. I usually add very little, just enough to liquify the soup a little. Make sure everything is mixed well, then pour the mixture into one pie shell. Place the other pie shell on top and flatten it so it is sitting nicely on top of the rest. Press the edges and trim any excess dough around the edges. Cut a couple lines through the centre of the pie so steam can escape. Put the foil pie plate on a cookie sheet so it's easier to move around, and place it in the oven for __ minutes (or until the top is nice and golden brown.

If you aren't a mushroom fan, you can use cream of chicken soup for your base and skip the mushrooms. Also, add any other vegetables or change the meat if you like. If you aren't a big fan of pie crust, you can pour the filling into an empty pie plate and just put a crust on the top. (My step mom makes it this way, she's the one who told me how to make it)

Enjoy!

1 wonderful comments:

Balancing Lisa said...

ooo....this is a great one to have! I love chicken pot pies, but the frozen ones are so fatty! thanks for sharing!