Yes, More Canning!

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Good Morning!


Well it seems that I have become a canning addict. Good thing I live with an addictions counsellor!
Anyways, this time it was salsa. Instead of your usual salsa, though, I went for a yellow theme! Yellow tomatoes & peppers (hot & bell). I was excited for it to be light yellow in the jars, but I forgot to factor in all the cilantro (and that the yellow tomatoes aren't very yellow on the inside). So it isn't really yellow, it's more green and white. That's fine though because it is delicious and has a unique taste. This is a really small recipe, it made 2 full 250 ml jars, and a partial one.


So, here's my yummy "yellow" salsa recipe!

3 cups yellow tomatoes (peeled, cored, diced)
1 cup pineapple (cored, diced)
1 cup chopped red onion
2/3 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
1 yellow hot pepper (seeded, pureed)
3 large cloves garlic (crushed)
1/2 cup cilantro (finely chopped, I used freeze dried stuff because it's all I could find at Safeway)
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar

[note: always wear gloves when preparing hot peppers, don't risk the possibility of burn!]

Directions:

Put all your ingredients in a pan on the stove. Boil for 10 minutes over medium-high heat, stirring often. After the 10 minutes, simmer over low or medium-low heat until the liquid has been reduced to your liking. Remember the salsa will thicken a little more when it cools. Leave 1/2 inch headspace and process for 15 minutes!

This salsa isn't spicy. You could probably add another full yellow hot pepper or substitute a hotter pepper if you prefer something spicier. Also, be careful altering quantities of peppers and other non-acidic vegetables in these recipes because it could throw off the balance and lead to bad salsa. I used a trusted recipe, and altered it a little. I didn't add any more non-acidic stuff, but I did up the quantity of lemon juice, so this stuff is perfectly safe for canning!

You can find a full rundown on how to go about the canning process here, if you need, and check out this post for helpful tips on how to do it at home without buying tons of equipment.

0 wonderful comments: