Food on Saturday Too!

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Good Morning!

I'm a little behind on telling you guys about this because it started this past Monday, but that's ok. This week was a good food week. I decided on Sunday that I would make delicious and healthy (at least somewhat) suppers for Mason's last week of work! It went really well and every night when we were eating he went on about how lucky he is and everything, so that helped it continue for the rest of the five days. :) I have a confession though: I didn't take much for photos! I was so busy cooking, then so hungry when it was ready that it was half eaten when I remembered that I should have taken a photo! Oh well. My food isn't that pretty anyways.

This is what we had Monday. It was absolutely delicious and flavourful. Mason did the grilling, but that is because I barbecued steak once and it was very well done, so he hasn't really let me do it since. I marinated the steak (recipe below) for about 8 hours once it was fully thawed. You could leave it much longer if you wanted, but this had great flavour after 8 hours.

I looked up a bunch of marinades online and made my own recipe, so I don't really have a source to credit on this one.

Yummy Steak Marinade

Ingredients:
1 tbsp Montreal Steak Spice
1/2 cup olive oil or vegetable oil (I used a little of both, olive oil isn't cheap you know!)
1/4 cup soya sauce
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, crushed

Directions:

Dump everything into a big freezer bag (the zip closure ones are easiest) and make sure it is mixed well. Then add the steak. We put two t-bones in, but if you have cheaper cuts of meat and marinate them for a day or two, they should taste great. I would say to at least leave the steaks in the marinade for a few hours, and if you do it for a shorter amount of time then leave in marinade on the counter for 1 hour before cooking. (That was a tip I found online) Toss the steaks on the barbecue and grill to your liking. Remember to throw away the marinade, it's all icky with raw meat germs!

0 wonderful comments: