Fresh!

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Good afternoon!

Since the summer is almost half over and I still have not found a job, I am beginning to accept the fact that I just might not get one this summer. After all, who would hire someone for a month only? I can't think of anyone either! The free time today meant that I got to check out a Wednesday afternoon Farmers' Market downtown. (No complaints about that!) I don't recall ever going to the Farmers' Market in Regina, but now I know that I was crazy! Especially when I lived right downtown! Oh well.

Anyways, because of who I am and what this blog is about, I think that the Farmers' Market is a great thing to talk about. While there are people there selling handmade items, the food there is also just as important! The Earth may have done the "making", but the people guided the process and have brought the amazing food to us in the city to buy. So shop local! I think that it is easy to forget about how wonderful Farmers' Markets are. Let's think about it for a minute... The food is grown locally and travels less distance for us to eat it, that is good for the planet. The food is grown more naturally than most grocery store food. Even if it isn't organic, it is at least coming from the ground not a greenhouse. That is better for the planet and for you! By buying directly from local farmers, you are supporting the economy within your community, which benefits all involved. AND the food tastes so much better. It is amazing! If you have never eaten a farm fresh nectarine, you really have to. We don't even buy them at the grocery store anymore because it is so disappointing. They are like cardboard compared to the fresh, juicy, sweet ones found locally. Cookie Crumb cries if you don't let him eat the whole thing himself.

This is him fiendishly munching on a fresh nectarine (the first time he tasted one!) last summer. :)


So here is what I bought today!


Strawberries, carrots, green beans, peas, zucchini, broccoli, and nectarines!

Someday I hope to have a huge garden so I can grow delicious foods because, as a teacher, I'll have the summer off!

**A funny little update... Cookie Crumb reacted the same way to nectarines this year. He was not willing to share!**

0 wonderful comments: