School, Work, and What Not.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

To start off, I still am in my little uncreative rut. I have made cookies and supper. That's about it. I have been taking a summer class though, it's my first ever education class. This class is what my future as a teacher is hinged upon, if I don't get a recommendation from this class, I can't even apply for the Faculty of Education!

But let me tell you, this class is SO great! In a three hour class or workshop I never feel bored or tired. While my other university classes have been interesting and taught me a lot, they are just information from a book. This class is so practical, it's teaching us how to be teachers, and what teaching is all about. The teachers who speak to us seem proud of the fact that they devote almost every waking moment to something related to their job, while only being paid a pretty small salary considering the value of their work. You can just tell that these people love their job and they want to help others get to that point. They are the kind of teachers that students remember their whole lives. Sigh. I hope that I can be that someday. This class is really making me realize that this is where I want to be. Next week I start a practicum in a grade 4 classroom. I can't wait!

Also, I am still unemployed. Apparently jobs are really hard to find in Alberta. Especially when I can't work full-time, or at least have some hours any time. It is definitely making me miss Saskatchewan. I'm just hoping that something will come along soon!

So, onto what little creative things I have done lately. I made another batch of my "Healthy Cookies" last night. I modified the recipe a little bit (see the original here). I added the half cup of coconut that I missed last time, and I substituted one mashed banana for the two eggs. They are kind of like a tropical version of the original! I found out that you can use 1/2 of a banana, mashed or pureed instead of 1 egg in a recipe. (AS LONG AS the recipe does not need the egg to help it rise, or to be light and fluffy.) If you need your item to rise and want to use the banana substitute, you can add a little baking powder. However, this might take a little experimenting. But the great thing about using the bananas is that it allows for a vegan version of the recipe! I will also update the original post with this new discovery!

0 wonderful comments: