Food Friday

Friday, February 24, 2012

Just over a year ago I posted a really healthy recipe for blueberry bran muffins. But after a day or two of eating them, I made my mind up that they were totally gross. So I found my mom's bran muffin recipe which I have always loved, tweaked it a little, added blueberries and posted it instead. And they are so delicious, though maybe not as "healthy". Oh well, I've never been one to eat bad tasting things for the health benefit! Oh, and if you like plain bran muffins (the photo has one blueberry, one plain) or raisin bran muffins, just remove or swap the blueberries for something else. And one more tip, if you don't have buttermilk, which I never do, you can substitute 1 tbsp of lemon juice or white vinegar and 7/8 cup of regular milk for a cup of buttermilk.


Blueberry Bran Muffins

What you need:


3 cups All Bran cereal (not that flakes, the ones that look like noodles)
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup margarine
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 cups buttermilk
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen



How to make it:


Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large bowl combine cereal and boiling water. Mix well then set aside. Cream butter, sugar and honey. Beat in eggs. Add remaining ingredients in order, mixing between each. Pour into lined muffin tins and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Use a toothpick inserted in the centre of a muffin to test for doneness, if it comes out clean then they are done.


0 wonderful comments: