Ahoy! Pirate Shorts

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Lately I've been interested in details. I am confident that I've got the basics of sewing down by now, so it must be time to got a little deeper. Instead of just sewing something, why not sew and customize it? That's what I did with these shorts for Gavin. I used a pair of his shorts to draft a pattern, sewed it up, then I added yellow zig-zag topstitching and a pirate ship applique.


 I love using knit fabric for appliques because you just have to cut it out and sew it on, no worrying about the edges.


He was excited when he came home and found them. He calls them his "skeleton shorts". I could have left a little more room for his diaper bum in them, but they fit great when he wore his big boy underwear with them. Hopefully we can ditch the diapers soon anyways!


And here is the picture I get most these days... his back as he runs away!


4 wonderful comments:

Tara said...

These are super cute... but not quite as cute as the boy wearing them! I just love that little guy :)

Balancing Lisa said...

These are awesome! And the details are amazing! ;)

http://stilettosanddiaperbags.blogspot.com/

Jayna Rae said...

Cute shorts. Knit is so great for applique. I think my almost three-year-old would love a pair of these.

Erica @ Acire Adventures said...

Thanks, ladies! I can't wait to do more experimenting with details!