Use Up That Zucchini on Friday Food-day

Friday, September 17, 2010

Good Morning!

Well, this week for Friday we're making bread. The weather was cool the week I first made these so I felt like using my oven a lot! I made these little muffins and they turned out to be quite delicious. You can make them as a loaf, and I will when I make them again, but I didn't have a loaf pan on hand so they are muffins this time.

I got the recipe from the book "Homemade" (which I'm sure I've mentioned before). It is published by Reader's Digest. Anyways, I used marble cheese in mine, but I think a stronger cheese would be better because it adds more flavour. Also, my version of the recipe uses whole wheat flour because I'm trying to do more of that these days.

Zucchini Cheese Loaf or Muffins

Ingredients:

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp sugar
6 Tbsp margarine
1 cup shredded cheese (sharp cheddar or something else bold)
1 cup milk
1 large egg
1 cup grated zucchini (squeeze out any excessive moisture with a paper towel)
1 Tbsp grated red onion
1 tsp Dijon mustard

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix the flour, baking powder and sugar in a bowl then cut in margarine until the mixture becomes crumbly. Mix in the cheese. In a different bowl, beat eggs and milk together then add remaining ingredients. Add this to the dry ingredients and mix with a fork. Only mix until ingredients are sufficiently combined, over mixing will make the end result too heavy. Put the dough into a well greased loaf or muffin pan. The dough doesn't rise much, so you can fill the muffin cups most of the way without any spill over. Bake a loaf for 40-45 minutes, and muffins for 25-30 minutes. To test for doneness, insert a toothpick in the centre. If it comes out clean, they're done!

We had these with some tomato soup one day and it was the perfect match. They taste great dipped in it! I also warmed one up and topped it with salsa. I think it would also go well as a bread on the side of any meal that uses a flavourful sauce you might want to dip your bread in (like gravy or something).

0 wonderful comments: