100th Post!

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Good Morning!

Guess what? This is my 100th post. That's pretty crazy! It makes me feel good, though, and makes me want to keep it up. I also have 9 official followers (I've gained 4 in the past couple weeks!) and more who I know are here anonymously. Thanks for being here, everyone!



Well last night I decided to try some more canning. Since I went crazy shopping at the farmers' market, it was definitely the right time. This time I decided to tackle grape jelly and... It totally failed. I realized there was something weird going on with my little half jar so I opened one of the canned jars up once they were cooled and it is totally hard. It's like hard candy! (See the knife sitting ON TOP of the 'jelly'!)

So obviously I cooked it too long (which is odd because I cooked it for only 2/3 of the time called for in the recipe). It tastes delicious, though (I tasted it before it hardened), and I found a website that says you can add grape juice to thin it out. I'll have to try that and let you know. It would be a shame for it to be a total failure!
[first round of cooking, with skins, seeds, and pulp still in]

As for the process of making grape jelly, it is way more work than my first jam. There was a lot more cooking and then you have to get out all of the solids so you just have juice, then you have to cook more!
[second round of cooking, just juice + sugar. looks neat, hey? it smelled great!]

I personally like jam better than jelly anyways, so I should probably stick with that. This has me a little nervous about making salsa like I want to, but I won't let it scare me away!

[the leftover grapes!]

1 wonderful comments:

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

Bummer :) Hopefully you will be able to save it. Congrats on the 100th post :) T.